Monday, April 11, 2016

It's Cold Still!?!

Yeah, it's still like 40's in the morning and like 55 max in the afternoons most days. It is no bueno.

So this week was another special meeting! Last week was the General Conference, meaning a conference for the entire church from the Leaders of all the Church. That happens 2 times a year, every 6 months. There are also other smaller conferences that happen 2 times a year called Stake Conferences. A stake is about 8-14 congregations in a region. Like around Sioux city, there are congregations that are about 30 minutes to 2 hours away east and west that are part of our stake. During a Stake Conference, the Stake leaders talk to the stake and give specific direction to those that are in the stake or conduct business, such as boundary changes and stuff like that. The time of the stake conferences are different for every stake but for Sioux City, it is the weekend after General Conference. It's just 2 weeks of revelation from leaders who are chosen by God and whose only desire is to help those in the region to have more faith in Jesus Christ to be able to gain peace in this life. It's awesome! 

Something that I learned from this Conference is that we must have questions to learn. It's a basic principle of the Gospel. There are many instances in Church history where the current prophet just asked God a question and marvelous revelation was given, such as the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood. It is something that by applying this principle in my study of the scriptures, I've been able to learn a lot. Basically, I begin by telling God what I want to learn in prayer. I ask for his help. Then, I study for that answer. God gives it to me as I read and ponder on what I read. Then, you gotta make sure you thank God for that knowledge and ask if there is more that he wants to tell us. It's a pattern that has worked a lot for me, so I know that it's true and good. 

Anyways, this week was awesome! We had a really cool miracle just yesterday! We were just driving and this guy whistled and waved to us. We were like "What? Who is that?" and it was near the house of someone that I had heard about but never met. It wasn't that person, but his brother! His brother is a member of our church and even went on a mission! He is awesome. He is just visiting for the day, but he invited us in and we taught his mom, who isn't a member of our church! It was awesome! She is super willing to listen to us and wants all of her family to listen too! Her name is Elva. I suspect that she will be talked about later, so keep her in mind. 

So yeah, great week! I hope you all have a great week this week! I love all y'all peoples!

Elder Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment