Monday, March 30, 2015

Service Pt.2!

So we totally went to the Zoo but I didn't bring my camera. I feel ashamed. But it was super cool! I'm 100% sure I'm going to go again in like a few months but for now, no pics. This week I will have my camera on me like always so I'll make sure to pull it out and take some pictures. The Omaha Zoo is the number 1 zoo in the country so it was pretty sweet. Although it does not have the amount of animals as the St. Louis Zoo, the exhibits are AMAZING. There is an huge dome for the desert creatures with a basement that is a swamp. Then there is a building that is 100% an artificial rain-forest. It's super sweet! One part had bats flying alllllll around! It was so super sweet! The gorilla building was also super cool and, as other missionaries told me, usually whenever we turned our backs on one of the Silver Backed Gorillas he would charge the glass and hit it full force! But, he looked super depressed when we went there. One of the smaller ones did it 2 after like 20 minutes of trying lol. Super awesome. Plus, next summer, they are opening an Africa area so I hope to be able to at that time too.

This week we did the UNO (University of Nebraska at Omaha) Seven Days of Service twice: thursday and friday. Thursday we helped clear 2 empty house lots of trash for refugee's from Sudan and Burma to make a community garden for them to become self-sufficent. It was super fun but super sad to see all the garbage that had come just from the winter. We found like 11 big black trash bags full of them and then 9 big paper bags of yard waste. We also found a dead cat in the midst of that. Crazy. Friday, we helped a company called Good360 package shirts and diapers to be shipped to charities nation wide. Huggies diapers were packaged into much bigger packages and old nike shirts were put 25 per box into like 300 boxes. It was totally fun but kinda boring at the same time. (No, I didn't take pictures [more shame to me] but you can look up Southern Sudan on facebook and you might be able to see some pics that they took of us with other people.)

We also had a baptism! Bryan (of whom I talked about like 2 e-mails ago on week 13) was baptized! It was a super awesome experience! He had a bunch of his family there and they all enjoyed it too. You could just feel his happiness radiating and filling like the entire church building. It was amazing to see how happy he was. He knows already how much following Jesus Christ has blessed his life and he is hoping that he can help his family get those blessings too!

So, with Easter right around the corner, there is a new video that I wanna link you all to (i can even watch it and it's awesome!). It's athelives.mormon.org and I give you all the assignment to at least watch it. It's super sweet. Well, hope you all have an awesome Easter! Love you all! (no homo)

Elder Cox

I will list the people in the pictures from left to right and then give a small explanation. 

1st: Bryan's wife Claudia, Bryan, Elder Wilson, me. This was the baptism this last week.



2nd: Elder Barton, me, Bryan, Claudia, Elder Wilson, Elder Draper, Landon (at Elder Draper's feet, son of Bryan and Claudia), Sister Grubbs, Sister Kennion. Draper and Barton are the Omaha Spanish South Elders. Grubbs and Kennion are the Omaha Spanish Sisters and they cover the west part of Omaha.



3rd: Claudia, Bryan, Sister Willis, Sister Savage, me, Elder Wilson. This one is at the Mormon Trial Center at Winter Quarters. It's a big part of Mormon history when the Early Mormons were pushed out of Illinois and They stopped where Northern Omaha is now and called it Winter Quarters back then. Fun facts! The two sisters in the picture were the two that gave us the tour and such.


1st: The first 5 people are the family of Alexandra of whom I don't know all the names for, Alexandra, Elder Wilson, Me. This was the baptism that was 2 weeks ago. 


2nd: Elder Wilson, Me, Sister Kennion, Sister Grubbs. Right after doing the Seven days of Service on friday.









No comments:

Post a Comment